Real People - John, ICU Health Care Support Worker

Fidzbit: Tell us about yourself and what you do.

John: My name is John, I'm married with 3 grown  up sons, 2 granddaughters and I've worked in the NHS for 36 years this year.

F: What have you been doing during the last ten days to prepare for the coronavirus crisis?

J: There has been much organisation by managers and senior staff etc.   Personally I have been carrying on in my role as a Health Care Support Worker in the Surgical Short Stay Unit. The majority of operations have now been cancelled or moved to another hospital. I move back to the Intensive Care Unit soon so I have attended training sessions about things that I will have to do there.



F: What is the atmosphere like among your nursing colleagues as you anticipate such a critical situation? What is morale like?

JIt's a difficult question to answer because I have not yet been exposed directly to the current healthcare situation. Atmosphere and morale seem to change daily - some days good, some days bad.



F: Do you know what a working week will look like now?

J: I really have no idea what a working week will look like. I am expecting it will be changing day to day. 


F: All this uncertainty must be really difficult. And I guess many people are feeling this way. It is helpful for us to know so that we can start praying about it. What are your concerns as you look ahead at this big ‘unknown’?

J: Like everyone else I am concerned whether I will I catch the virus and how it will affect me. Also I want to do my job in supporting the qualified medical staff to the best of my ability.


F: Does being a Christian make a difference at a time like this? How?


J: Yes because what ever happens I know that I am safe in Jesus.



F: It is wonderful to hear that you can experience that kind of certainty in the middle of so much uncertainty. How can other Christians support front line medical staff like you if we are not allowed out of the house?

J: So much is still unknown; prayer is the best support that you can give at present. 



F: You are likely to be very busy during the next few months and it might be difficult to keep communicating with people. How would you like people to pray for you and your colleagues as things get worse?

J: Protection, strength, peace, endurance and the opportunity to be able to express my faith - however small an opportunity that might be. Also please remember some medical workers in your neighbourhood might live on their own - if you know someone like that try and connect with them because work might be the only community they have. 


F: If someone reading this wants to know more about the hope Christians have in Jesus, what would you advise them to do?


J: Start reading the Bible. Begin with one of the four gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. Also seek out a Christian or find a place where the Gospel is preached and talk to someone.

F: Thank you so much for sharing this with us. We really appreciate all that you and your colleagues are doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touch Not the Lord’s Anointed!

Visits from the Holy Ghost? Martyn Lloyd-Jones on Word and Spirit in Preaching

Visits or Visitations? Lloyd-Jones Pops Around Again.