Real People - Simon, a GP

Fidzbit: Tell us about yourself and what you do.

SimonMy name is Simon and I am a General Practitioner working in a village just outside Leicester. I am married to Allison, and we have 3 children.

F: What have you been doing during the last ten days to prepare for the coronavirus crisis?

S: I have mostly spent the last 10 days in isolation with suspected coronavirus! So I haven’t been doing much to prepare for it, although before I became unwell I had tried to keep up to date with the ever-changing government advice to GPs about managing patient’s with suspected coronavirus. 


F: So you’ve been in isolation! Sorry to hear that. How did it feel? What was the most difficult bit?


SIt did not feel good. I felt unwell with high temperatures and a cough but mostly I’ve just been worried for my family. My wife has been doing a lot to keep everything running smoothly, and I obviously haven’t been able to help, so that has been hard for her. Not being able to see her and the children made it feel very lonely, that was probably the most difficult bit.


F: What are your thoughts as you prepare to go back to work?


SI am thinking about how I can be a good doctor at this time of uncertainty, when my consultations are going to be conducted much more over the phone, and how I can make that safe and connect with people even when I can’t see them in my room with me. I know I am going to need to be very careful when I do see patients in person and take all the necessary precautions. I want to be able to be a good witness in my workplace at this time, so I am thinking about how I can practically do that. Also, I am thinking about how I can try to protect my family as I come back home after seeing patients in the community.


F: Fidzbit is based at the Faith Mission in Edinburgh and a lot of our supporters will be reading this. I know you have had some contact with FM in the past and wonder if you could tell our readers what influence it had on your life?


SYes, I grew up in a small village in the Peak District and attended a very small chapel with very few young people. The Faith Mission came to help with some evangelistic events and I was invited to attend a Faith Mission summer camp. Attending these camps had a huge impact on my life. I had very few Christian friends and the camps were hugely encouraging to me. I learnt a lot from the Bible teaching, heard the faithful preaching of the Gospel, and had wonderful times of fellowship with other Christian young people. I realised through these camps that the message of the Gospel was not just for me, but that I needed to be sharing it with my friends too.

F: Does being a Christian make a difference at a time like this? How?


SYes, it makes a huge difference. I am so glad that I know the Lord, and that He is in control over this situation and will be with me in my decisions and will grant me wisdom when I ask for it. Ultimately, it is wonderful to know that even in this uncertain situation, my future is certain and secure, because of the Lord Jesus who laid down His life on the cross for me. I know that because my sin is paid for, I have an eternity to look forward to with Him, and that this life is not all there is. I can trust Him, because He is faithful to all His promises. He is loving and kind and I can entrust my family into His hands and that gives me a lot of peace.


F: How can Christians support front line medical staff if we are not allowed out of the house?

SI think prayer is the main thing really, and letting the medical staff know you are praying for them. That would be a real encouragement. 

F: What would you like people to pray for you and your colleagues as things get worse?

SThere are a few things to pray for: For protection for us, and also for our families. That the Lord would sustain us through the long hours and stress that probably lie ahead. That we would do our work with compassion and to the glory of God.  That Christian healthcare workers would make a real difference at this time through our witness in the workplace to our colleagues and patients. A lot of people will understandably be panicking because of coronavirus but if we can communicate the peace and assurance we have because we know Christ,that could make a real impact on those around us. 


F: Are you allowed to speak openly about your faith as a GP?

SUnfortunately, I am prohibited from sharing my faith openly with my patients. There are circumstances in which I could bring it up, but what I could say would be very limited. 


F: If you could speak openly with your patients, what would you like to say to them at a time like this?

SI would love to tell them about the peace that can be found in Jesus. For many people this coronavirus situation brings fear of death, or of loved ones dying, and the world really has no answer for these fears. These fears about death can only be dealt with through knowing and trusting the One who defeated death in order to bring us eternal life. I would want to point my patients to the Lord Jesus who died on the cross and rose again so that they can be free from the fear of death and hell, through the forgiveness of their sins. 


F: It seems daunting now but this will eventually pass. What are your hopes and dreams for when life settles back to normal?

SOur hope is to eventually serve the Lord overseas in mission work. I am in the process of finishing a master’s degree in global health and infectious disease, and I am hoping I will be able to get my dissertation finished. We hope that the Lord will clearly lead us to where He wants us to share the gospel and use our skills for His glory. 

F: Thank you so much. We’re glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to regain strength as you go back to work. We’ll be praying for you, your family, and your colleagues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touch Not the Lord’s Anointed!

Visits from the Holy Ghost? Martyn Lloyd-Jones on Word and Spirit in Preaching

Visits or Visitations? Lloyd-Jones Pops Around Again.